Small acts we do every day can make a big difference when reducing your environmental impact! Below are a few great tips powered by the Green Sports Alliance that will help you live green whether at home, at work or at school!
NBA teams save water with efficient practices, get in the game by using water wisely in everyday activities – Here are some easy ways to reduce water use:
- Run the washing machine only when full.
- Take a shorter shower and turn off the water while shaving to save a lot of water.
- Sweep sidewalks and driveways instead of hosing them down (washing a sidewalk or driveway with a hose uses about 50 gallons of water every 5 minutes.)
Reduce your energy use by unplugging seldom-used appliances and save money – Here are some easy ways to reduce energy use:
- Save money when switching to compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) – CFLs are 80% more efficient, they last 10 times as long, and replacing 6 bulbs can save you an average of $36 per year in energy costs.
- Did you know your refrigerator typically accounts for up to 20% of your electric bill? Do you have an extra refrigerator in the basement or garage that contains just a few items? You can save around $120 each year on your utility bill by unplugging it.
- Use power strips to switch off televisions, home theater equipment, and stereos when you’re not using them. Even when you think these products are off, together, their “standby” consumption can be equivalent to that of a 100-watt light bulb running continuously.
Join many NBA teams by going electronic to reduce paper waste – Here are some easy ways to reduce paper in your home and office:
- Don’t print out each report, memo or email you receive. Read and delete the ones you don’t need to save and electronically file others you might refer to later.
- Change the default settings on your printer and copier to double-sided.
- Unsubscribe from unsolicited catalogs and junk mail and choose electronic correspondence whenever possible.